Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Perception Matters: Is Perception Reality?

I perceive; therefore, it is. Ok, so I’m not exactly René Descartes. I know. But it is an important argument, especially in the world of work. Does perception matter? Does the way that my team, clients, supervisor, and management perceive me impact reality?

Perception Matters.

As much as I try to convince my 9-year-old that what her peers think is meaningless and that the 3rd grade Mean Girls are irrelevant, the truth is that once she hits the world of work, the way that others perceive the value she brings, may indeed have an impact. Before you fall out of your chair in disbelief that I’d make such an assertion, read on . . .
“Perception is reality.” This quote is sure to yield grunts, eye-rolls, and sighs from an audience. And while I am sure there are many that agree with the idea that perception is reality, there are many others who would be willing to argue that it is not. In fact, just last week, I was facilitating a team-building workshop around the theme of the “Power of Your Attitude”, and I stirred up quite a discussion. I projected a quote on the screen:
“It’s not what you do, nor the way that you do it, but how your team perceives what you do and how you do it that determines the value you bring to the team”.
And the crowd went wild. We had such a wonderfully engaging debate around the power and value of perception. Both sides made valid arguments. There were folks who were adamant about the idea that perception does not impact that which is real. And perhaps they are right. Perception may not match truth and reality. It does; however, have an impact on what is real in the eyes of the person/people doing the perceiving. Here’s an example:
Sally perceives that John brings very little value to the team. Sally has her own supporting examples to back up this perception. Even if her examples are flawed, the belief is still true and real to Sally. Reality.

The Good News!

“All things are subject to interpretation. Whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.” ―Friedrich Nietzsche
The good news is that we have the power to manage perceptions, and it doesn’t take much to get started. Here are two quick-start tips to begin the process of managing perceptions!
1. Be Self-Aware
Pay attention. Try to consider the impact you are having on others. How do others view you? What types of responses do you elicit from your words and actions? If anyone has ever read one of my blog posts, read my book, or attended one of my sessions, you know that I am a big fan of self-assessment. Take some time out to examine yourself, your contributions, your impact.
2. Be the Brand!
Whatever your brand is, live it! We hear the term “Personal Branding” thrown about all the time, but what it is about? Personal Branding is the method through which we market ourselves in order to manage others’ perception or emotions related to our value. It is the method through which we shape, market, and manage our reputation.
While I could go on and on talking about personal branding and power of marketing oneself (and I could shamelessly plug my book, “Marketing You: Be STRATEGIC”), I will instead give two quick nuggets:
  • Association: Network and connect with people who have a positive, valued reputation and who bring value to you.
  • Communication:
    • Be very purposeful, deliberate, intentional with your words and actions.
    • Plan your communication. If you want to control perceptions, think about the message that you wish to send, and then chose the messaging wisely.

It’s Your Turn

So, I ask you, my readers, two questions:
  • Do you subscribe to the notion that Perception is reality?
  • What steps do you take to control to manage others’ perceptions of you?
Share your thoughts!
(Image sources: Microsoft Clip Art Gallery, WikiMedia Commons)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment